Italian, 1585 - 1647
The Judgment of Solomon, Nd
Oil on canvas on masonite panel
Gift of Mr. and Mrs. Eugene Davidson (Suzette Morton, class of 1934)
Dimensions: Unframed: 23 in. (58.42 cm)
Signatures, Inscriptions and Markings v
On verso of frame:
1. Paper label reading [handwritten in ink in an oval printed cartouche with foliate design--see sketch]: Incognito/ [?] di Salomone/m. 0.55 (diametro)
[in upper right corner, also handwritten in ink]: No 145;
2. Paper label reading: [in printed letters] PROP. G. RICASOLI/ Prov. CASA CORSINI [‘Corsini’ crossed out in ink, and to the right of ‘prov.’ is a ‘^’ mark, with: ‘gia Barberini-Colonna’ handwritten above the second line]/ [handwritten in ink] m. 0.55 (diametro)/Inv. N. 145 Nota N;
3. Paper label [handwritten] reading: centi[?]/ 305;
4. Paper label reading: PITT & [?]TT/ LONDON/ (in blue pen) D 9686/ 7682;
5. Small ink 4(?);
6. In bold salmon pigment: 230
Prince Maffeo Barberini (b. 1632 - d. 1685), by descent within the Barberini family mentioned in the 1911 inventory of items belonging to Principessa Anna Barberini Corsini (d. 1911) and Prince Tommasso Corsini (d.1919); Marchesa Eleanora Corsini Antinori
Cardinal Francesco Barberini [1597- 1679], Palazzo della Cancelleria, Rome, January 2 1932 (see Lavin 1975, doc. 317);
Colnaghi, London, 1970; Mr. and Mrs. Eugene Davidson; gift to VC Art Gallery from Mr. and Mrs. Eugene Davidson.
Published References v
Lavin, Marilyn Aronberg. Seventeenth-Century Barberini Documents and Inventories of Art, New York: New York University Press. 1975.
Exhibition History v
Cortona, Italy Aug. 261634 [unknown exhibition title, duration--see Lavin doc. 102)
Poughkeepsie, NY, Vassar College Art Gallery, “Promised Gifts ‘77,” April 20- May 22, 1977, no. 2, ill. p.5.;
Poughkeepsie, NY, Vassar College Art Gallery, “For Pleasure and Instruction,” May 11 - June 29, 1984; by sally mills and Joan Mickelson Wkach. no. 6, p.9, Ill. p. 9.